After last month’s poll, it seems most of you enjoy the image based posts more, so I’ll keep that trend going with this month’s newsletter. We’ve also addressed a few issues that were preventing the newsletter from getting out to everyone, so hopefully more of you will be receiving this one!
Finally, since we hopefully have everyone’s attention, we just wanted to ask that you:
- ‘Like’ us on Facebook
- ‘Follow’ us on Twitter
By do this, it really helps us see who is out there, and also gives you a better way of keeping up to date on what we’ve been up to. I’d love to keep talking because I’m awesome like that, but honestly, this week’s panelists came up with some great topics, and I just don’t think I can come up with anything to top them. Though for the most part this month’s topics are a bit more ‘sci-fi’ oriented than usual, the science these guys bring to the table is still 100% there to back up what they are saying. So without further rambling from me, enjoy as our scientists cover topics including the possibility if mind control in real life and the math behind the real potential of alien life!
Science Behind the Sci-Fi Panel Overview
- Science Focus: Paleobotany
- Author: Jamie Boyer
- Science Focus: Neuroscience
- Author: Robert Hampson
- Science Focus: Astrobiology
- Author: Jacob Haqq-Misra
- Science Focus: Astrophysics
- Author: Amitai Bin-Nun
- Science Focus: Astronomy – The Drake Equation
- Author: Ed Trollope, founder of http://www.thingswedontknow.com
This Month’s “Random Science News”
A heard some great direct feedback about the videos from last week as well, so I thought I’d keep that trend going this month as well. So with out further adieu, here is your ‘Random Science News’ for August!
- Video games weren’t the only form of entertainment to blend with science this month, as the two met on the big screen in ‘Europa Report’. Many are saying this is one of the most scientifically accurate sci-fi movies in recent memory. Here’s the movie’s trailer:
- Perseids meteor shower occurred this month! For those of you following us on social media, we through out a quick warning so you wouldn’t miss it. If you did, here is a quick video of what you missed (skip to 5:18 in the video to get a good shot of the shower at its peak):
Share your thoughts!
I really appreciated the feedback from last month, so I thought I’d come back for more again. Its about that time to start the search for new panelists if we are going to change things up, but before we do, we want your thoughts on what to keep and what to change up. If you select that you’d like new topics, please feel free to offer up subjects or people you’d like us to contact about being next year’s annual featured panelist.